Canwest News Service
The massive fire that destroyed a Calgary condominium building was caused by careless disposal of smoking materials, the city fire department reported yesterday.
It is believed the March 18 blaze started on the fourth floor of the four-storey building before spreading to the attic and roof, gutting the structure and leaving hundreds of people homeless.
Officials say the fire was accidental.
"This is the second time since March 11 that a fire has caused significant damage due to improper disposal of smoking materials," said the fire department in a statement.
The fire at the Canvas at Millrise building destroyed much of the fourth floor and units on lower levels because of water and smoke damage.
The city has said the 159-unit building — of which 150 units were occupied — is uninhabitable.