The weekend fire that left 28 Sandy Hill residents homeless was caused by careless smoking, an investigation into the blaze has determined.
The fire broke out around noon Saturday at a three storey apartment building on Mann Ave.
At the time, many residents told the Sun they expected smoking was the cause.
The fire started at the back of the building on a shared second-storey balcony.
Platoon Chief Dennis Gobey said the building's six central units were damaged, but the two end units were spared.
Nobody was injured, but damage is estimated at $600,000.
Many of those displaced by the fire had no insurance.
There's no word on a fund to assist them.